Sunday, December 29, 2013

Two men arrested over fire on North Sea ferry

Two men arrested over fire on North Sea ferry

Six people were rescued from boat, which was forced to return to Newcastle after blaze broke out

Two men have been arrested after a fire on board a ferry sparked an emergency rescue and forced it to return to Newcastle.

Two crew members and four passengers had to be winched off the North Sea ferry after they breathed in smoke when the blaze broke out in a cabin room 30 miles from land at around 11pm on Saturday night.

A 26-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson and a 28-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of affray, a spokeswoman for Northumbria police said.

Passengers began leaving the ferry on Sunday morning after arriving back at the Tyneside port. The ferry had been sailing to Amsterdam with 946 passengers on board.

Gert Jakobsen, a spokesman for the ferry operator DFDS Seaways, said earlier that police were in control of the King Seaways cruise ferry and were speaking to people on board about the incident.

He added that the ferry would not be continuing its journey and instead would wait until its next scheduled departure to Amsterdam on Monday morning.

The passenger suspected of starting the fire had been detained on board by ship staff while it sailed back to the port, police said.

The fire broke out in a passenger cabin at around 10.45pm and was extinguished by 11pm.

RAF helicopters from Leconfield near Hull and Boulmer, Northumberland, were scrambled to the vessel along with RNLI lifeboats from Bridlington and Filey.

Jakobsen added that he expected the injured crew and passengers flown to Scarborough hospital to be released later on Sunday. A further 15 passengers and eight crew members were treated by doctors for smoke-related injuries on board the ship.

He said the company would try to help passengers forced to abandon their trip to Amsterdam find alternative crossings.

"We are very sorry for those passengers who have not only been affected by the fire but now by these delays," he said. "We are looking at how we can help them.

"The cabin that was burned is very damaged and there has been some smoke damage to surrounding cabins but the ship's function has not been affected in any way and is safe to travel."

Steven Basford, a passenger, said he was kept on the ferry while police went door to door to speak to those on board.

The 28-year-old, from Northumberland, who was travelling to Amsterdam with his partner, Vic Liang, to celebrate new year with friends, said a fight had broken out between two male passengers during the evacuation.

He said: "We were in our room at about 10.40pm last night when they raised the general fire or emergency alarm with seven high pitched siren noises.

"We were told to evacuate outside the ship and when we got outside they asked us to converge around the lifeboats.

"The fire was on our floor but on the other side of the ship. When we climbed up to the communal area we could see the smoke. It wasn't thick but it was definitely noticeable.

"People were generally pretty calm. Obviously people had had a lot to drink. It's a bit of a party boat. Two big blokes started brawling."

Another passenger on board said she was forced to evacuate to the outer deck when the alarm was raised.

"We were all sat upstairs when the alarm went off and the captain came on the tannoy and told us to evacuate to the outer deck because there was a fire," Olivia Elliott told Sky News.

"We were out there for about 40 minutes and then we had to wait in the nightclub area."

A police spokeswoman said: "We received a report from the coastguard at around 12.05am of a suspected arson on board a ferry on the North Sea. Officers from Northumbria police are working with DFDS Seaways and other partners to assist with the situation.

"Two men have been arrested – a 26-year-old man on suspicion of arson and a 28-year-old man on suspicion of affray. Both men are helping police inquiries."

According to the DFDS Seaways website, the 26-year-old vessel has room for over 1,500 passengers and 600 cars. It was renovated in 2006.

It offers entertainment including restaurants, bars, a nightclub and a casino.

CrimeNewcastleWater transport © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

shared via